Egg Chair Wonders: Comfort, Style, and Versatility Unveiled UK
Discover the world of Egg chairs and their unparalleled comfort, style, and versatility in this comprehensive guide. Explore the history, materials, and types.
The Iconic Egg Chair: A Half-Century of Design Excellence
Recliners have a history of over half a century, initially designed to offer an alternative to traditional couches and sofas. In 1958, the renowned designer Arne Jacobsen created the first Egg Chair for the Radisson SAS Hotel in Copenhagen. Republic of Fritz Hansen was responsible for crafting these uniquely shaped chairs using the finest materials available at the time. While there is some debate about whether the design of the Recliner was inspired by Eero Saarinen's 'Womb Chair,' it's clear that these chairs had their own distinct identity and appeal. They were highly sought after for their exceptional aesthetics and comfort, although only a limited number of original recliners were ever produced.
Most of these chairs were created specifically for the Radisson Hotel, with only a few becoming collectibles and produced as 'Special Editions.' This exclusivity added to their allure, and despite their hefty price tag, estimated at $60,000 in 1958, those who desired these uniquely designed chairs were willing to pay. The recliners were meticulously crafted and possessed a distinctive charm. These luxurious chairs were intended for opulent settings and were designed to complement the most lavish environments. Their substantial size required ample space for placement.
Hanging recliners, also known by various names such as egg chairs, ball chairs, pod chairs, or basket chairs, are chairs hanging from the ceiling or specially designed stands for hanging chairs. Traditionally, these chairs were made from woven rattan, but nowadays, most hanging chairs are synthetic rattan, commonly referred to as PE Rattan. Despite the synthetic materials, many of these chairs are still handcrafted, making each unique and special.
Hanging Double egg chairs are often sold as complete packages, including a stand designed specifically for hanging these chairs.
These stands typically share standard features:
- Aluminum construction: Despite their size, these stands are lightweight and easy to move around.
- Powder coating: The stands are covered with a fine powder that is electrostatically sprayed onto the surface and then heated to create a durable and attractive finish. Powder coating can be done in various colors.
- Water and UV resistance: After being coated, the stands are made resistant to water and UV rays, ensuring their durability and ability to withstand various weather conditions.
While initially designed for indoor use, hanging recliners have become popular outdoor furniture. They are commonly found in backyards and used in apartments and indoor spaces like balconies and living rooms.
The design of the Recliner incorporates its distinctive egg shape, which offers aesthetic appeal and ergonomic comfort. Sitting in an egg chair is akin to wearing a perfectly fitted piece of clothing; it cradles the body comfortably.
Various materials are used to make the Recliner, with the original Ditzel Recliner being crafted from rattan, a natural wood frequently used in furniture design. Many recliners are made from natural wood or synthetic materials that mimic natural wood while being weatherproof. These chairs typically have a metal base, which is rust-resistant for outdoor use, and come with cushions made of performance materials like Sunbrella, ensuring water and UV resistance.
Bed and Egg Chair: The Perfect Match for Ultimate Comfort and Style
When creating a luxurious and inviting bedroom, a comfortable bed and an elegant Double Egg Chair can transform your space into a haven of relaxation. In this guide, we'll explore different types of mattresses, including luxury beds, sleigh beds, Ottoman double beds, modern beds, and wall beds in the UK, to help you make the perfect choice for your bedroom.
- Luxury Beds: Luxury beds are the epitome of opulence and comfort. Crafted with high-quality materials and exquisite detailing, these beds provide a lavish sleeping experience. From plush upholstery to intricately designed headboards, luxury beds add a touch of sophistication to any bedroom.
- Sleigh Beds: Sleigh beds are known for their elegant and timeless design. Their distinctive curved headboard and footboard resemble the shape of a sleigh, creating a regal and inviting atmosphere. Sleigh beds are available in various materials, including wood and upholstered options, allowing you to match your decor style.
- Ottoman Beds Double: Ottoman beds are the perfect choice if you're looking to maximize storage space in your bedroom. These beds feature a hydraulic lifting mechanism that lets you lift the mattress to access a spacious storage area. Ottoman beds are practical and stylish, making them popular for modern bedrooms.
- Double Beds: Double beds offer ample space for two people to sleep comfortably. They are available in various designs, from classic to contemporary, ensuring you can find the perfect double bed to suit your bedroom's aesthetics and size. Double beds provide the ideal balance between space and coziness.
- Modern Beds: For those who prefer a sleek and minimalist bedroom design, modern beds are an excellent choice. These beds often feature clean lines, low-profile designs, and a focus on functionality. Modern beds are versatile and easily blend with various decor styles, making them a popular option for contemporary homes.
- Wall Beds in the UK: Wall beds, also known as Murphy beds, are ingenious space-saving solutions. These beds can be folded up vertically into a wall-mounted cabinet when not in use, allowing you to free up valuable floor space. Wall beds are perfect for smaller bedrooms or multipurpose rooms where optimizing space is essential.
Pairing any of these exceptional bed styles with a Double Egg Chair creates a harmonious balance of comfort and style in your bedroom. Whether you choose a luxurious bed for ultimate relaxation or a space-saving wall bed for practicality, the addition of a double Egg Chair elevates the aesthetics and comfort of your bedroom to new heights. Explore the perfect combination of a bed and double Egg Chair to create a personal sanctuary that reflects your unique style and taste."
Recliners come in different types to suit various preferences and needs:
- Hanging Recliner: These chairs can turn from an attached base or be suspended from a tree or ceiling. Chairs with an included base have a curved pole leading down to a circular base, making them suitable for any flat surface. Hanging from a shelter or tree requires a secure setup with a porch covering or sturdy branch.
- Stationary Recliner: Some recliners have a traditional four-legged base, providing stability for those who prefer a non-swinging style.
- Swivel Recliner: Another style of outdoor egg chair is the swivel base variety, offering an oversized design and a fun spinning feature for outdoor spaces.
- Recliner for Kids: Smaller recliners designed for children typically have sturdy bases with legs and do not swing for safety reasons.
Now, let's explore some excellent uses for Recliner:
- Create a Reading Nook: Hanging Recliner provides a snug, cozy seating area perfect for unwinding with a good book. They offer a unique and comfortable reading space that traditional chairs and sofas cannot match. You can place your Recliner in an unused area of your home or even create a new reading nook in a different room.
- Enjoy the View: Recliners are ideal for appreciating the beauty of the outdoors. Position your hanging chair to take in the view of your garden, or place it near a large window with a scenic outdoor view. Taking a few minutes to connect with nature can help reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.
- Create a Window Seat: A Recliner can fulfill your childhood dream of having a window seat. While custom-made window seats can be expensive, an egg chair offers a cost-effective alternative that combines comfort and aesthetics. The high sides of the chair create a cradling effect, making it perfect for extended periods of sitting.
- Fill an Empty Space: Recliners are a versatile solution for those awkward corners in your home that don't seem to accommodate traditional furniture. A hanging swing chair with a stand can fill such spaces while creating a cozy corner.
- Enhance Your Learning Space: Whether learning a new language or developing a new skill, a Recliner can be your go-to spot for studying and self-improvement. Its encapsulating design can help you focus by minimizing distractions.
- Create a Space to Unwind: Besides reading and studying, Recliners are perfect for mindfulness activities, meditation, or simply unwinding. These chairs provide a cocoon-like environment that helps block noise and distractions, promoting relaxation and mental well-being.
- Design an Eye-Catching Statement: Recliners add a touch of aesthetics to your home decor. Whether you want to create an indoor zen garden with a boho theme or impress your guests with a stylish statement piece, an egg chair can do the trick. Complement it with wicker baskets for holding throws and cushions, and place a rug beneath to enhance the cozy ambiance.
With these seven compelling reasons to invest in an egg chair, you can transform your living space into a haven of comfort and style. Whether you use it for reading, relaxation, or as an eye-catching decor piece, the Recliner's unique design and versatility make it a worthwhile addition to any home.